Driving without Insurance in Barstow (VC 16029)
Did you fail to show valid auto insurance when you were pulled over for a traffic violation in Barstow? If so, you could be facing expensive fines under California Vehicle Code Section 16029. That is why you should contact our experienced Barstow traffic ticket lawyers today so we can defend you.
Our skilled and knowledgeable Barstow traffic attorneys have been successfully representing clients in the Barstow Traffic Court for more than 35 years. We can help you fight your citation for driving without valid insurance. Call our office at (877) 466-5245 for a free phone consultation regarding your case. We will be there when you call.
Can I Get a Ticket for Driving without Insurance in Barstow?
Under VC 16029, all California drivers must have “evidence of financial responsibility.” This law requires all drivers to have the following minimum insurance:
- $15,000 for injury or death of one person
- $30,000 for injury or death of two or more persons
- $5,000 for property damage
There are different forms of evidence of financial responsibility that are acceptable under California law. Valid proof of financial responsibility includes:
- Proof of auto insurance
- A DMV issued self-insurance certificate (or SR-22)
- Proof of a cash deposit of $35,000 with the DMV
- A surety bond for $35,000 from a licensed business in California
Drivers are required to carry one of these forms of evidence of financial responsibility in their vehicle at all times. The most common form of proof is a card or paper issued by an auto insurance company that shows coverage for the current date.
There are some vehicles that do not need to have insurance in California. Those vehicles are:
- Off-highway vehicles
- Vehicles registered to a government entity such as a city, county, state or federal agency
- Special equipment vehicles
- Vehicles with planned non-operation status
Penalties for Driving without Insurance in Barstow (VC 16029)
Receiving a citation for driving without insurance in Barstow could lead to expensive fines. The fine you face for this traffic violation depends upon whether you have any previous violations for this traffic offense. The penalties are as follows:
- First offense: $100 base fine
- Second or subsequent offense within three years: Up to $500 base fine
It is important to note that these fines are only the base fine for your traffic violation. You could wind up paying a substantially higher amount in total after factoring in court fees and penalty assessments.
In addition to a fine, law enforcement officers could have your vehicle impounded for driving without insurance in Barstow.
You could face civil penalties if you are involved in an auto accident while driving without insurance. In this situation, the court could order you to pay for any property damage or injuries that occurred to any of the parties involved in the accident. The DMV could also suspend your driver’s license for up to four years if you are involved in an accident while driving without insurance.
What Should I Do If I’m Cited for Driving without Insurance in Barstow?
The fines for driving without insurance under VC 16029 are expensive. That is why you should act immediately if you are cited by law enforcement in Barstow for failing to show valid auto insurance. Our skilled and knowledgeable Barstow traffic lawyers recommend you take the following steps right away:
- Write down the facts of your case – While the information is still fresh in your mind, write down everything you can remember about being stopped and cited by law enforcement. Why and where were you pulled over? What questions did law enforcement officers ask you? How did you respond to those questions? Your recollection of events is the first step to building your defense for driving without insurance.
- Find out which court will be handling your traffic ticket – When you are cited for a traffic violation in Barstow, you will likely receive a sheet that should explain where and when you are being requested to appear in court along with the traffic law you were cited for violating.
- Speak to an experienced Barstow traffic ticket lawyer – Once you have all the information in the first two steps, you are ready to talk to an experienced Barstow traffic ticket lawyer about fighting your ticket. This information is critical in building a valid legal defense to the citation.
If you call our Barstow traffic attorneys at Wallin & Klarich, we will provide you with legal advice and guide you through how the traffic ticket system works in Barstow. Our law firm has been successfully handling traffic matters in Barstow Court for more than 35 years. We know the local court and how the judges handle traffic matters in this court.
Our skilled Barstow attorneys have helped numerous clients fight citations for driving without insurance. In many cases, we have been able to resolve our clients’ traffic ticket matter without them ever having to appear in Barstow Traffic Court.
One of the most common ways we can beat this ticket is by showing that you actually have auto insurance, and you simply did not have proof of insurance on you at the time you were cited. By bringing proof to the court on your court date, our attorneys may be able to have your citation dismissed or have the fine lowered.
If you did not have insurance at the time you were cited, our lawyers may be able to get the citation dismissed by showing proof to the judge or prosecutor that you obtained auto insurance following the incident.
Speak to Our Skilled Barstow Traffic Lawyers Today
If you have been cited for driving without insurance in Barstow, speak to our skilled and knowledgeable Barstow traffic ticket attorneys at Wallin & Klarich. Our law firm has been successfully defending clients who were cited for failing to show valid insurance in Barstow for more than 35 years. Let us help you now.
Contact our office today at (877) 466-5245 so we can help you fight your traffic ticket. We will be there when you call.